Hellooo and welcome to my week 3 progress on the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry! I actually did things this week, which was needed after getting sick in week 2 and really only getting a little online research and budgeting done. If you need to catch up, you can read week 1 here and week 2 here. Today I’m sharing some paint progress photos and a little after-paint preview, all shot on my very fancy iPhone 6.
As a reminder, here’s a little checklist of the plans for the space, with the completed items marked through:
Shop/budget Deep clean Paint the bathroom Marshmallow by Sherwin Williams Purge unnecessary items from bathroom closet Reorganize bathroom closet with updated storage bins
- Craft a hanging macramé plant hanger
- Install shelf
- Add decor
As you can see, the lion’s share of the work is now done! I cleaned, purged, and organized to my heart’s content and the closet is now a shinier, brighter, happier place to pluck my deodorant from first thing in the morning. No photos of that today, but I did share a quick snap of the re-organized closet on my Instagram stories. I’ve been sharing my real-time progress there if you’d like to follow along!
I haven’t painted a bathroom since my senior year of college…several…years ago. I forgot how fun it is to cut in around all the nooks and crannies! (I know some of you are new here. That’s sarcasm.) Thank goodness it’s such a small space, because the rest of it went pretty quickly. I think from top to bottom it took me about 4 hours, which kind of flew by as I listened to one of my favorite podcasts. I hardly even noticed the rigid claw-shape my hand began to form around the paint brush!
But the paint fumes and claw-hands don’t matter, because DING DONG THE BEIGE IS DEAD. To recap: our house, which is a lovely rental that I really do adore, is painted head-to-toe in a glossy beige that YES could be worse but it could be so much better. Even the ceilings. Painting the main area (kitchen, dining, living) would be a real undertaking as all the rooms are connected, so I thought ridding the bathroom of the beige would be an easier first step. I was not wrong! The warm, fluffy white that we chose is Marshmallow by Sherwin Williams, color-matched to Behr because there’s a Home Depot down my street and that’s the only excuse I need. We chose a satin finish because it is a bathroom and it’d be nice if the paint was wipeable. The difference between satin and gloss is huge, even Matt said so, which is how you know it’s true.
With the big clean, purge, organize, and paint steps behind me – now comes the fun stuff! I’m going to make a hanging planter for the shower and add some new decor into the space. As usual, hit up the other participants below and I’ll be back with the final progress update in a week, followed by the reveal in two weeks!